Monday, July 09, 2007

Wilmette Eating: I Find a New Restaurant that Meets my Standards

It was a combination of hunger, this news report, a search for someplace to eat other than at home, and a coupon that sent us over to Dempster Street, just South of McCormick, in Skokie, the other night for a meal. While Wilmette is no culinary destination, there are plenty of restaurants nearby; the trick is finding someplace new where the food is good, the parking is easy, and the price fair.

I am pretty picky, and usually what I look for when I go out to eat is food that is fairly plain and simple. I don't like to put on my good clothes to eat. Most of the time I want to just get in the car and go someplace with minimal fuss. I have no interest in those noisy, trendy places where the decibel level could give you a headache, or developing a relationship with the person who takes my order. I do like a cloth napkin, sensible prices, good food quality, and decent service. I don't want to reuse my salad fork on my main course. I like water with my meals, and I like pitcher of ice water on the table. In short, I like what every restaurant should be offering but rarely does. I'm happy to report that Kabul House, which we tried for the first time, met my standards. It bills itself as "the only Afghan restaurant in Chicagoland," and is a good find, well worth sharing.


We ordered the vegetarian rice combo and the lamb kebobs. Both came with hot flatbread, a small salad and some very nice rice. The kebobs also came with some grilled vegetables. The portion size was just right, eliminating that horrible habit of taking home left overs. That was a plus for me. We also had some desert, choosing home made ice cream and some rice pudding. We liked the food, the service, and the decor, and we will go back. I recommend it, and think you would like Kabul House, too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. Always like to hear about good restaurants.

Jul 9, 2007, 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

I usually don't write about restaurants, but this seemed a good candidate. Could I seriously confess to my readers that I actually ate at Hackney's 3 times in one week? Definately time to branch out a bit!

Jul 9, 2007, 4:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch