Monday, February 27, 2006

Wilmette: Why do the Police Enforce Parking Laws and Not Traffic Laws?

Took my life in my hands, today, parking in Poplar Avenue Lot 4 to take the train to Chicago. Illinois law is clear. The Rules of the Road (Chapter 8) state that "Crosswalk lines are white lines painted across the entire width of the pavement. Sometimes the inside area is marked with white diagonal lines for added visibility. Pedestrians in crosswalks have the right-of-way over motor vehicles." As I crossed on the white diagonal lines, the driver of the large SUV who was chatting on her cell phone smiled as she nearly ran me over.

Wilmette Police seem never fail to enforce parking laws, but I have been nearly killed several times as a pedestrian. Is there a reason that the Wilmette Police can't protect and serve pedestrians? As one Wilmette policeman told me a couple of years ago, giving tickets aggrevates the residents

In fairness, the Backyard Conservative did some investigative reporting in Wilmette today, and nearly had an accident with an illegally parked car.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Smith said...

I have a seemingly random question for you (and any readers). My fiancee and I are in the process of buying a house in Wilmette, and her daily commute will be by Metra from the Wilmette station. How is the parking situation there? i.e. In your experience, how early does the lot fill up in the morning? If she is getting to the train after 7:30 is she going to be stuck without a spot? I appreciate any advice you may have on the topic. Thanks - Mark

Aug 7, 2007, 8:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch