Friday, January 05, 2007

President Christopher Canning Speaks on the Emerald Ash Borer

I happened to tune into Chicago Tonight last evening, and I was surprised to see Wilmette Village President Chris Canning as a guest. His topic was the emerald ash borer, and he described how the Village plans to remove all ash trees on parkways, figuring that they are all going to die. This will, of course, cost a couple of million bucks.

I would be a little more skeptical about this plan (the trees will be replaced with other types) except for the fact that not only does Mr. Canning have five ash trees at his house, he also is Wilmette born and raised. For that reason I imagine that he is taking the best interests of our Village to heart. This plan was apparently devised with the help of many foresters as well as federal and state agencies.

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Canning doesn't own an interest in a tree trimming service or a tree nursery, but this is one nice piece of business for someone. In the meantime, I am proposing the following town motto: "Wilmette, where every day is Arbor Day." Kind of has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Previous posts on trees in Wilmette: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For that reason I imagine that he is taking the best interests of our Village to heart. This plan was apparently devised with the help of many foresters as well as federal and state agencies."

Hmm..the guy that runs one of the most meddlesome villages in the State, working with some of the most dubious "foresters" in federal and state agencies comes to you and says..."I want to spend $2 Million to kill trees that aren't sick"

And that is in the best interests of the village?

JBP

Jan 8, 2007, 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

JB, tell us more! Who are these foresters and why are they dubious? We need to know and I don't know how to find out. I thought these trees were sick? Since you are in Evaston can you give some insight? I know Evaston has decided not to do anything about EAB, and I am sure that is after some serious consideration. I don't know what is in the best interests of the village. I sure would like some debate. That is, if anyone is watching and if ayone is interested

Jan 9, 2007, 3:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch