Friday, July 18, 2008

Barack Obama's Summer Vacation to Europe

Today I would like to be more like Barack Obama. I want to be on record that a nice summer trip to Europe would be an important opportunity for me to assess the situation in countries that are critical to American national security, and to consult with some of our closest friends and allies about the common challenges we face. It would be better if you, as a taxpayer would pay for it, as you will for Barack. Unlike Barack Obama, I could go on a commercial plane, and I could even go in the tiny seats in back, although in that event I would like an aisle seat. I wouldn't have to take a posse along with me, saving you money, and I could even be happy in a nice enough three star hotel. I would prefer a first class rail pass, however.

Obama probably doesn't care that due to current economic conditions I will be going to New England instead of Europe. Does he feel my pain? I don't think so. That's a shame, because I really like to go to one of those delicious bakeries in Bavaria, where you can pluck a "berliner," the type of jelly donut pictured above, out of a bin and eat it up, remembering the day when President (note: already elected) John F. Kennedy spoke to the German people in Berlin.

Obama, of course, wants to take his campaign for messiah over to Europe, and try to paint himself as the new John F. Kennedy, having failed in earlier attemps to fit into the mantle of Abraham Lincoln. Perhaps they haven't yet heard in Europe that Obama has jettisoned his old left-wing friends and thoughts in favor of something more moderate. There is a real issue here whether Obama can keep the pals who gave him his primary victories and regain his momentum. Obama's campaign wants you to believe that he is the inevitable candidate for President. Personally, given the personality cult that surrounds Barack Obama, I think going to Germany to draw large crowds based on his popularity will result in some very unfavorable parallels. I think Obama should have chosen France, as they are more his style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch