Friday, November 21, 2008

I Take an Unexpected Time Out

Today started out with great promise. I took the day off work to get ready for Thanksgiving, and it made me happy that I had plenty of time to finish what needed to be done. The only two scheduled events were taking the dog to the groomer in the early AM, and a quick trip to the dentist at 12:30. I was out of the house by 8:00, and it was looking like a very productive day. I did some Christmas shopping, picked up the dog, fixed a quick lunch, dashed to the dentist and then the day suddenly went very wrong. Turned out that what I thought was a minor infrastucture problem wasn't, and I was off to emergency oral surgery by 2:00.

I am now flat on my back, resting comfortably while icing my jaw, grateful that I have a wireless connection to amuse myself. Unfortunately, this pain killer isn't one that takes you halfway to dreamland, and the shopping, straightening, and ironing projects scheduled for this afternoon are weighing heavily on my mind. This medicine says I cannot drive or work, which makes accomplishing much almost impossible. Of course, I thought I was unusually clever to schedule Thanksgiving shopping on Friday rather than Saturday, but so much for that.

Meanwhile, I'm very grateful that my dentist appointment was today, and not early next week. I am reminded that "the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong . . . but time and chance happen to them all," and gathering perspective on a day that didn't quite go as planned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch