Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Coyote Alert in Wilmette!


It was shortly after dusk last summer, that I thought I saw something, an animal loping purposefully down the street. I would guess it was maybe a foot or a foot and and a half high, and quick, with a long bushy tail. It was so dark and it happened so fast that I almost thought I was dreaming. Sort of like that time I saw a mountain lion out West appear suddenly a few feet from me and then slink off, I find it hard to understand what's happening without the help of a narrator from the National Geographic.

I now know that I must have seen the coyote, the one that Wilmette police report has been the subject of several worried phone calls from residents. But not to worry, they tell us, just don't feed them or, for that matter don't feed the birds.

Don't feed the birds? That one mystifies me. I suppose coyotes like birds, but they like rabbits better. Do you think the message might have been garbled from Don't plant the bulbs? While we are told that the coyote population is increasing due to a deficit of wolves, I think it might be that they enjoy those tasty well-fed rabbits who, since Spring, have munched just about everything down to the ground in our garden as well as several small bushes that I planted.

But seriously, tell the kids to stay away from any stray dogs they see, because a coyote looks a lot like a dog, and their teeth are very very sharp.

Have you heard this? It's the sound of the coyote. Minnesota has info here and there is advice for Washington, DC residents here. Plenty of pictures here. And, of course, I did have to check the National Geographic.

Note to self: forget the fact that we have an animal theme going this month. You want to end up being an animal blog? Get a grip.


4 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

:)

Nice that you could see it and spot that it was a coyote and not a dog...I really thought it was a god or a wolf.

Oct 17, 2006, 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

This creature was not only running down the road, he was just where a car would be driving.We don't have wolves around here, thank goodnes--at least, not yet.

Oct 17, 2006, 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw what appeared to be a Coyote walking down 15th avenue about a year ago. It first looked like a dog, but without a collar and a different tail. It was definately smaller than a big dog, but larger than a fox. Weird.

Oct 17, 2006, 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Hi Anon,
Did you listen to that sound of the coyote? Have you heard that around your yard? I might have, but I am still looking for a site which has sounds of the racoon. Hope we get some more reports. I am surprised the coyotes prefer the streets to the sidewalks. But judging from what I read, there might only be one coyote in 6 miles. I also saw a fox, dead on Green Bay in Kenilworth a couple of years ago. We are not alone!

Oct 18, 2006, 1:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch