Saturday, October 07, 2006

Smokey the Bear and Election Wisdom

Forest fires still represent a terrible threat to the American West, but it took an act of war to organize an awareness campaign 62 years ago. That campaign is the longest-running public service campaign in history.

Every American surely knows Smokey the Bear (more properly Smokey Bear), the ursine Forest Ranger who taught us our role in preventing forest fires. If you are a fan, you will love the great little Internet Museum dedicated to preventing what are now called wildfires. A complete collection of posters that feature the fire-fighting bear can be found at http://www.smokeybear.com/vault/museum_main.asp, as well as Radio and TV ads, including such greats as Bing Crosby and the Sons of the Pioneers. The little Internet museum is wonderfully curated and an extremely well designed. While the TV ads don't reflect the improved technology that has emerged since the site first went online (try using the Real Player option), its well worth a visit. You can even find sheet music for a fun song activity with the kids this weekend.

Oh, yes, notice something vaguely religious about Smokey? Such as maybe he is praying? Maybe even on Government Property? With The Election a few weeks away, we thought we would point out that this poster is from the early 50's, showing that religion is a traditional American value, and not something George Bush dreamed up just to scare the living bejeezus out of the looney left.

And speaking of elections, did you see the website of the Democratic Party that purports to support our vets and their families? At the time of this posting, it features a Canadian soldier. I imagine they will fix that before long, but who's in charge there, anyway? Shameful. Update: The picture has been corrected; an American flag has been substituted for the Canadian soldier. Much better. Further update: They now have an American Flag, and some troops that look like doughboys, but I bet this time they are Americans.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

Upon further research, that email just got a whole lot more interesting.

Oct 7, 2006, 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

I'll be right over!

Oct 7, 2006, 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

I understand your concerns. Those names are from a blogger in that unit. They should not be posting anything on blogs, and they've been cut off as of mid-September, no doubt because of information leaking out. The Marine Blogger has not taken his blog down. Moreover, he's a CWo5 -- a very prestigious NonCommissioned rank.

Our armed service personnel do deserve our protection and concern. I do consider that, as I have friends in MI and Headquarters battalions. At the same time, these men are important figures in the major event of our era. I may remove those links later today, as it is of less news value than the links to Devlin.

Oct 8, 2006, 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"With The Election a few weeks away, we thought we would point out that this poster is from the early 50's, showing that religion is a traditional American value, and not something George Bush dreamed up just to scare the living bejeezus out of the looney left."

That's funny . . . I thought that religion was a human institution addressing human values. I thought it was around long before America was. When was it that God became rich, white, American, and militaristic?

One other thing . . . religion never scared the bejeezus out of me or anyone I know. George Bush is the person who scares the bejeezus out of me.

I don't get the link to Smokey Bear. This was a marvelous campaign from the start and nothing you can say will shake me on that.

STM

Oct 8, 2006, 6:23:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

STM,
I am glad that you are not afraid of religion; many who don't like our President say it is because of his interest in religion, at least that's what I seem to understand them to say. I hope you went over to the Internet museum to have a look at all the Smokey the Bear stuff, because its a great site. I just found it and wanted to share it with people who stopped by.

I always thought God founded religion, but I wouldn't want to argue religion with anyone.

What does religion have to do with Smokey the Bear? I was surprised to find him praying on that poster, so I thought that was worthy of comment. It made me think about the election. The Post is mostly about Smokey the Bear who is surely loved by all and most of the time not very contraversial. I am glad you are a fan, too.

Oct 8, 2006, 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Dear Copy Editor,

Thanks for listening about my concerns and thinking about the safety of our troops and your friends. I appreciate that.

Oct 8, 2006, 7:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch