Thursday, December 14, 2006

Vultures Over South Dakota

Shame on the mainstream media! I would be happy to see a Republican majority in the Senate--it would provide some checks and balances seeing that the mood of the country is likely to elect a Democrat as President in two years. But enthusiastic chatter about replacing of North Dakota's Senator Johnson before he has even had surgery--all the vogue on last nights news--is really, really tacky. I am surprised that the MSM would stoop that low.

Would it have been that difficult to say that "it is premature to discuss his replacement?" I'm sure that the Senator has friends and family to whom this could be enormously upsetting. Senator Johnson was duly elected by the people of his state. I don't see how anything good comes of this save a bump in the ratings. They could have at least held off until tonight, I would think. Our political process has a method to deal with problems such as these, but discussing them so soon?

The picture above, by John James Audubon is a California vulture. While future leader Pelosi, from California, was nice enough not to address the issue, I think she could have provided a bit more leadership.

Update: While Sen. Johnson remains very ill, the news looks quite promising. The Republican governor who would decide a replacement in the event of a resignation has remained mum, expressing his concern for Sen. Johnson's health. Good for him! Read the story.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

I agree. Speculation on the Senator's future is totally tasteless. Common decency is not something our politicians have an abundance of so they won't waste it on a freshman Senator.

What is the world coming to?

Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to post a little more often than I have.
Chuck
Chuck

Dec 14, 2006, 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Thanks for stopping by, Chuck. Did I remember a day when the nation's prayers would be behind a fairly young man's medical emergency rather than political speculation, or was I dreaming? Glad to know you agree. There was a time that if a politician didn't have common decency at least he pretended. Glad to hear you are thinking you will post a little more often!

Dec 14, 2006, 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch