Sunday, April 22, 2007

Earth Day in Wilmette and Carbon Footprints

Happy Earth Day! I imagine you have a little dirt under your fingernails, too, seeing how good the weather is here in Wilmette! I found this great little quiz over at Bala's Blog, which you might enjoy taking, too. I got a 21, and surely could do much better if I could eat more locally grown food and take more public transportation. Unfortunately, there is a limited amount of each around here, so what's a person to do? When carbon footprints start getting discussed, we might as well cut out the Olympics. Sorry, Chicago! That's a high carbon footprint event; lots of jetting around and all. Does anybody ever worry about that? Wouldn't it be more sensible if they were cancelled? I would be happy to drive a super tiny car if they would just remove the trucks and suv's from the street, so reality intrudes into idealism.

I wish they had questions a little more relevant information to Wilmette on the quiz. What about the carbon footprint of tearing down an old house and building a new one? I would think that there are no net energy savings once you figure all the manufacturing of new materials, dumping of old, trucks involved, etc. I wonder why they never address these concerns anywhere. Unfortunately, it would seem that the best carbon footprint is hunting and gathering from a hut, or subsistence farming. Seems that the same people who are worrying about getting these people out of poverty ought to be celebrating their lifestyle instead. Well, the quiz will get you thinking a little so take a minute to figure out how you rank. When you're done, if you explore on the website you might find this link to the latest concern: electronic smog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Praguetwin said...

21? Wow, how many planets is that? I got 7.4, which is still nearly double the average for people in my part of the world, and means we would need 4.1 planets if everyone lived like me.

Apr 25, 2007, 4:05:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

I went back through the quiz and chose the most PC answer I could in every instance, answering correctly on the size of my small house and the fact that I do have running water, and still ended up at 14 even when I said I never flew on an airplane, never drove a car, never drove a motorbike etc. I then had 14. I do think the initial questions punished me as to the size of the city (I didn't use the size of my suburb which is mall) and likely even my zip code. I think you got rewarded for living in Eastern Europe. I am pretty comfortable with my economies, but in looking back I wonder if I didn't answer correctly to the garbage question, as I know I have a lot less than others. My carbon footprint was below average; that is good enough for me.

Apr 26, 2007, 2:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch