Tuesday, May 01, 2007

La Bandera no es un Serape:
Report on the Chicago 2007 May Day Parade

A nuestros huespides de mejico: por favor, la bandera no es un serape!

Thanks to the miracle of technology, I was able to see the May 1st immigration march on the NBC 5 Chicago website. Lots of US flags at the Chicago march, an alarming number worn as shawls. I don't want to be petty, but I have a bit of a problem with that. There were also a fair number of Mexican flags, none of which were worn as articles of clothing. Fewer flags this year than last, although I spotted a Che Guevara flag, a Hammer and Sickle, an Acorn Flag, a couple of Communist posters, a small statue of the Vigin Mary and . . . a flag of Norway? Hey, its a good day to be outside.

When I was in school, we spent a fair amount of time learning flag etiquette. I suppose, if you don't think the law applies to you, why would etiquette matter? In fact, the current crop of our guests from Mexico are the first immigrant group who seem to have decided that neither laws nor rules nor customs apply to them--including the speaking of English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch