Friday, April 18, 2008

Did you Feel the Midwest Earthquake?

Did you feel the 5.2 magnitude Midwest Earthquake this morning? It happened at about 4:35 am on April 18, 2008 way downstate at the Illinos-Indiana border. Little if any damage is expected to be found in Wilmette. Due to the rarity of earthquakes in this area, anyone in the Chicago or Wilmette area who was awake when it hit has a story. Reports of the quake are coming from as far north as Toronto and as far south as Alabama. While earthquakes are rare in Chicago, even tall buildings are reported to have swayed during the quake. There was little if any damage.

The USGS intensity map, above, (click on the map and you will be able to read it) is based on over 16,000 responses and will be updated at the USGS website.

If you felt the quake, do help science and report your information at the US Geological Survey for this event at their website.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woke up at around 4:30 and had to get up, my wife said she felt something. I was too tired to know... but it makes me wonder why I woke up.

Apr 18, 2008, 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Thanks for the report. I slept through it all. I didn't feel the 4.2 aftershock.

Apr 19, 2008, 7:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch