Saturday, June 21, 2008

Obama's Race Card

So, Barack Obama, the guy who is going to heal the oceans after healing us, yet again plays the race card, telling supporters "They're [Republicans] going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

I would like to be on record that I do not think Barack Obama has a "funny name," and that I don't care a hoot about his complexion. What I don't like is his politics and his attempt to inject race into the campaign. Seriously, is that necessary?

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne McCrady said...

While you are correct that McCain has not made race an issue and so does not deserve Obama's accusation that he has, Republicans at large are not so innocent. Every day I hear comments by conservative acquaintances that they just can't bear the thought of having a Black president with an African name. Barak Obama's remarks spring from what so many of us know: the insidious disease of racism is still rampant in our country.

Jun 21, 2008, 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

Anne, maybe you should drop those people from your circle. Their remarks are troubling and ignorant. Racists can be found among every race and every ethnic group, and there is a great deal to be said for shunning people with that viewpoint, wherever it is found.

Personally, if confronted with that situation, I would say, "If Barack Obama agreed with everything you believed in, would you still be against him?" If the answer was still "yes," I would tell those people that I was sorry that they felt that way. If the answer was "no," then clearly their problem is not his race or his name, but lazy thinking.

Every American needs to stand up against racism in his or her daily life, and remarks such as you have heard should not be allowed to pass without comment.

Jul 5, 2008, 11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch