Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Fueled By the Napoli Sandwich, We Press On to Siena

It took us about two days in Florence to realize that if we wanted really good Italian food that we ought to be eating it in Chicago. $14 for about 5 ounces of pasta with a couple of artichoke hearts, 1/10 of a tomato and about a quarter cup of olive oil? That came from a restaurant that was highly recommended, by the way. After a delicious Happy Meal at McDonald's across from the Santa Maria Novella train station that only cost about $7.50 each, you can't blame us for thinking about having it our way.

After a morning of sightseeing we decided to take the train to Siena, stopping at McDonald's to pick something up to eat on the way. Could you seriously turn down an Italian style breaded chicken patty with onion, tomato and a delicate hot sauce on a special bun with herbs at a special introductory price of less than $5?

The best I can say about the Napoli Sandwich is that it is an evil twin to the Filet-O-Fish gone horribly wrong. Not only did it manage to start out dry and tasteless, it emptied its onion salsa all over my purse, ensuring that it stayed dry until the last bite. While it was a pretty bad culinary experience, at least we no longer were hungry. Soon enough, the pretty countryside of Tuscany outside the train window not only made us forget our recent unpleasantness, but it also made us realize that if we run out of money before the recession ends we can be nice and skinny, just like the Italians.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sam said...

Wow....bummer!!! I guess if you want good food you gotta stick to what you know, eh?

If you're looking for a good sandwich in the states, I'm working with Schlotzsky's right now and they just released three new Big League Clubz sandwiches in addition to a baseball sweepstakes - http://www.bigleagueclubz.com/ - I highly recommend trying the sandwiches; the Beef 'n Bacon seems to be a popular choice!

You can also win fantasy teams from http://www.SimDynasty.com, a grand prize trip to St. Louis and lots of other stuff.

I may not be trying this sandwich when I make it to Italy, however...

Apr 7, 2009, 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

Sam, do yourself a favor and take a few of those sandwiches with you if you go to Italy! Schlotzky makes a delicious sandwich, that is for sure, and very tasty. Unfortunately, the Schlotzky's near us has closed.

I always like to try new food, though. I think the Napoli is in test marketing. I don't think it will survive.

Apr 7, 2009, 2:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Sam said...

Oh believe me, I love trying new food too, but I guess you win some and you lose some :) I actually had Korean BBQ last night for the first time...interesting?

If you get a sec, check out some of the photos in the gallery on the site (if you take a pic holding three cards and upload it, you can win a personalized mini-bat) - some of them are pretty clever, haha!

Next time I go to Italy I'll stick a few Schlotzsky's sandwiches in my back pocket for a rainy day ;) Thanks!

Apr 8, 2009, 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch