Sunday, October 26, 2008

Obama's Deceit

While Barack Obama was playing hide-and- seek during his childhood in Indonesia, I was in Chicago. Beginning with the death of Martin Luther King in April, 1968 through the Days of Rage in October of the next year, Chicago was home to a great deal of civil unrest. I can't speak for others, but the fact that my very own city could be a very dangerous place, scared me and scarred me.

I found myself waking up this morning remembering the black pall of low-hanging smoke that I saw hanging over the entire South Side of the city that April in the wake of dozens of deliberate acts of arson, and I felt sick to my stomach. When I see Sen. Obama making light of the actions of people such as Bill Ayres who made my life so very uncomfortable, I know any compassion that he has extends only to the few. With that preface, I wanted you point you to an article, entitled Messianic Pretensions by David Warren. A few excerpts are below; do read the whole thing.

"McCain is a man of action and accomplishment, Obama a man of "charisma" and pretty words, whose only real accomplishment has been his remarkable self-advancement. And Obama's policy outlook, so far as it can be discerned from the usual electoral pronouncements, consists of the same snake oil the pre-Clinton Democrats had been selling continuously since they chained the Great Society to America's ankle: that is, a constantly expanding Nanny State. I am hardly reassured by Obama's last-lap rhetorical reassurances: you don't send a man to Washington with a trillion dollars of candy-shop promises on medicare, education, government job-creation, "spreading the wealth" -- especially when the economy has just tanked.

"I wish that were the worst I could say about the man, who has survived nearly two years of campaigning for President without serious cross-examination from either the media or his media-chastened opponents.

"Obama has presented himself from the start as a messianic, "transformational" leader -- and thus played deceitfully with ideas that belong to religion and not politics."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up here too and lived in the city during that time too. Ayres had nothing whatsoever to do with the riots following the death of Dr. King and the arson and destruction that went with them. As to the actions Ayres was involved in, Obama has condemned them frequently and forcefully. To imply anything to the contrary is a big fat lie - but then again you know that already.

As to Obama's pretensions, messianic or otherwise, the only references to them anywhere come from those who wish to tear him down and destroy him. They are not and have not been put forward by his followers. That they have been repeated by his detractors does not make them any more true.

As for the role of God in all of this, Obama is first castigated because of Rev. Wright and then is castigated because he is trying to be a secular Messiah. It seems as thought he cannot win!

Whatever the role of the Lord in this dirty business, the only references that make any sense to me about your post concern the need to beware of those who claim to speak for the Lord and those who seek to direct the lives of others as if they possessed a direct line to Heaven that the rest of us lack.

I value my own faith greatly but God, faith, and religion have absolutely nothing to do with the despicable gutter politicking that is being spread by people like you and the silly tracts you wave around in the name of the Lord, truth, or whatever.

When God wants to set me straight on something concerning how to live or how to vote, I am certain that better sources will be found to communicate to me than you. The unbending focus of the McCain effort on lies, smears, and negative attacks flies in the face of any claims regarding change, truth, and religion.

I cannot wait for election day!

Oct 26, 2008, 4:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a coded way to say that Obama is "uppidy". It is the same claim you have been making about Seals and it boils down to racism pure and simple.

Oct 26, 2008, 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Anon at 4:55--

1. Ayres was not part of the King riots; he was part of the continuation of civil unrest. Obama's condemnation is too little, too late, and very, very convenient.

2. Obama should denounce this messianic movement; he delights in it. It is wrong, and if you think that is my opinion that is correct.

3. The article that mentions God was not written by me. The other points are very important.

4. You believe in Obama; I don't.

5. You can vote at Mallinkrodt at any time.

Anon at 5:05--

I am sick of this concept that fair political comment cannot be undertaken due to a person's race. If I said similar things about someone of German or Swedish heritage would I be anti-white? Of course not.

Oct 26, 2008, 5:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch