Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Holiday

Time was when commerce nearly stopped on Good Friday. It is the most solemn day of the Christian year, the remembrance of the death of Jesus. Traditionally, this was a slow news day, with serious stories focused mostly on the Christian world--in particular on commemorations in Jerusalem and Rome. It was not a day for shopping, parties, movie going, or merrymaking. Government offices and many businesses were closed. Many attended church or engaged in Christian Contemplation while preparing for Easter.

With so many changes, we are grateful that the New York Stock Exchange and banks still honor this day by shutting their doors.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

I am really surprised to know that "Good Friday" is not a national holiday in the US. Would you belive me if I tell you that it is a mandatory holiday in India

Apr 10, 2009, 1:47:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

I would believe you! It was always a state holiday in my state until a few years ago, then it was ruled unconsitutional by a court as a violation between church and state.

Apr 11, 2009, 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

I would believe you! It was always a state holiday in my state until a few years ago, then it was ruled unconsitutional by a court as a violation between church and state.

Apr 11, 2009, 11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch