Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Miracle of Baby Amilla

Scroll down for updated information
Need proof of miracles? Baby Amilla Taylor is going home. Born four months ago, her birth weight was just under 10 ounces (less than 284 grams). Her mom was one day less than 22 weeks pregnant when Amilla was born; she went into premature labor while visiting friends in a nearby city. Needless to say, the happy Mom and Dad are delighted, as is the entire medical team at at Baptist Children's Hospital in Miami, Florida.

Baby Amillia is the youngest premature baby to ever survive. You can see pictures of her little feet, less than half the size of your little finger, and lying next to a pen, almost as long as she was, by clicking here.

"I put my faith in God," said Amillia's father, Eddie Taylor. "I didn't worry a lot. I just made sure to get here to be at her side."

The University of Iowa has a registry with information about very tiny babies who have survived. Although some weighed less than Baby Amillia, she remains the youngest at birth. We are delighted that two tiny babies whose lives were saved were cared for at Chicago's Loyola hospital. If you would like to see the registry, just click here.

UPDATE: Amillia was scheduled to go home Tuesday, but doctors kept her an extra day as a precaution. At 5:42 pm, today, Wednesday, February 21, 2007, Baptist Children's Hospital, in Miami, Florida announced that Baby Amilla has left the building (with her parents, of course) !Amillia was scheduled to go home Tuesday, but doctors kept her an extra day as a precaution. To read the hospital press release click here. You can read the hopital's official Baby Amillia Taylor fact sheet by clicking here. The executive summary is one word: "thriving."
FIRST BIRTHDAY UPDATE (OCTOBER 24, 2007): Click here to go to Amilla's first birthday update.

6 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

I really hope she survives and have a wonderful life.

Feb 20, 2007, 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

Hi Balaji,
From all reports that's just what the doctors expect! The doctors report there is no need for concern, and she is fine in every way. I heard today her homecoming is briefly delayed due to an somewhat elevated white blood cell count, but this a a precaution and not a particular cause for concern.

I am sure all the world is praying for Baby Amilla and her family.

Feb 20, 2007, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

If my calculations are right that is just over half-term. Pretty amazing.

I know this ties in with your anti-abortion stance, and although we probably disagree here, I'll just say I think the second half of a term should be protected.

Looks like science is catching up with my view.

Feb 26, 2007, 9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary :)

Feb 26, 2007, 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

Praguetwin, did anyone start out anti-abortion? I know when my mother started thinking that way, I thought perhaps she had joined a cult. Seemed enormously strange.

Now you are suddenly whittled down to only 4 1/2 months. I am afraid to let you know where that kind of thinking may eventually lead you. . . Either way, I always appreciate your comments.

Gabrielle, thanks for the good wishes.

Mar 1, 2007, 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

I'm not sure where I "started". I just figure there has to be some limits on legal abortion. Just my opinion.

I always appreciate your comments too.

Mar 6, 2007, 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch