Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hurricane Dean and Jamaica Talk Radio

I never went to Jamaica. and from what I had been reading on the Drudge report, it seemed that Hurricane Dean might blow it off the map. So I decided to look around on the Internet for some news updates, and I found several interesting links. One was a Jamaican radio station that was broadcasting throughout the storm, using mostly a talk radio format.

Somehow I thought this would be exciting, like watching those weather men who go down to Florida and report breathlessly while branches fly in the background and they are almost blown away. Jamaica's tiny, though, and the news turned out to be extremely local. There was a report that a tree had blown down and was blocking the highway. Someone called to say that their peach tree fell over and the roof blew off one room, but they were fine in the rest of the house. Their was a weather report from another island. A PSA featured two friends chatting about getting HIV tests and wouldn't it be great for both couples to go out afterwards. Then, big news: shots were heard. Discussing that took about a half hour. Then they asked for phone calls from people with disabilities to call and tell them how they were faring, but no one called.

Another caller reminded listeners that it was important to remember the prisoners during a difficult time. Then there was news that the prison roof of A block had blown off, and B block was leaking badly, and they hoped the authorities would be there soon. At this point I decided to go do some chores. When I returned, the worst of the storm had turned south and Jamaica was spared.

The concept of listing to radio shows all over the world on the Internet is pretty exciting, but today I nearly bored myself to death.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How funny! I listened to a Jamaican radio station all day yesterday because many of my in-laws live there. It sure wasn't exciting listening, but I did dream with an accent!

Aug 20, 2007, 3:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its really exiting that we can listen to radio stations all over the world, don't you think? When I saw the photos of the aftermath of the storm, I decided that those Jamaicans are pretty sturdy people! Everyone seemed to be taking the hurricane in their stride, but it looked really much worse than I ever thought when I listened to the radio. I hope your family is okay after the storm and that they didn't suffer too much damage. I am sure everyone is grateful that the storm moved South, and looks like I will get the chance to visit there one day. I don't think I will go in hurricane season, though. Thanks for visiting.

Aug 20, 2007, 8:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch