Monday, August 27, 2007

Wilmette: Danger of Being "Off the ComEd (Electric) Grid Permanently?

From all evidence, we are not among the 99% of households in Wilmette who will have electric service restored by tonight. Tomorrow we enter day six of life without electricity, following last Thursday's devastaing winds and rain.
It's good to know that George Williams, ComEd's senior vice president of operations, has stated that "We will not stop until every customer is restored.'' Geez, it never occurred to me that they would stop before everyone had power.
Permanently off the electric grid in Wilmette? That's a nightmare thought that never occurred to me. While that would be enough to put up the "For Sale" sign, I can't imagine anyone would want to buy. It's not exactly like having a well rather than city water. On the other hand, maybe I could figure out some of those off-the-grid power solutions. I do remember seeing one where power is delivered via stationary bike. That would be healthy!
Being off the grid permanently would have another benefit: the house would have to have its tax assessment greatly revised, and there's no question in my mind that a low tax bill would be good too. Is it possible that my judgment is going?

2 Comments:

Blogger El Rider said...

Publia,
Good Lord! You are still out? That is horrible, I have been through that sort thing (Wrigleyville '95, Mobile, post Hurricane Frederick) and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Good Luck and I hope that Com-Ed gets there soon. After '95 I looked into solar and found it to be quite expensive.

Aug 28, 2007, 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Publia said...

They got here, but the trucks were from Iron Mountain Michigan and the men from Philadephia! I am exhuasted, and I can't figure out why.

I had an invitation to go to Destin this weekend, where rumor has it they've rebuilt the Florabama. I've declined, and I don't feel bad about that one bit, although there is one thing that is much better about a hurricane: you know its coming. I was caught by surprise and was pretty darn scared.

I have some good pictures, but unfortunately I can't blog at home, the editorial office somewhat sodden at the moment and the printing press in the living room, far away from the wires that could give it life.

Getting back on the grid promises to be as much work as living off it.

Aug 28, 2007, 2:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PicoSearch